Sunday, November 16, 2008

We Are Duke!

I am very late posting this blog, but this past week has been busy and hectic! Last weekend Adam and I drove to Durham to visit Wes and Ashley and to see a Duke football game! The drive out there seemed to take FOREVER! Seriously, we heard Kid Rock's song "All Summer Long" and another song at least three times, and the time change might have had something to do with it too. However, when we finally got there, the long drive was worth it. We got to see Wes and Ashley's new home, which is so nice. Adam and I are partial to new homes, but I pray Wes and Ashley do NOT have the problems we've had with our new home! Anywho, then we went to eat dinner at Satisfactions, where we had an awesome pizza. Adam and I ate out entire pizza, which was at least 16 inches in diameter, and I thought Adam might try to steal some of Wes and Ashley's pizza. Adam's a big eater - grandmother's love him!
The next day was the big game against a rival team, NC State. Originally Adam and I chose this game for our visit because Dad's side of the family,who live in North Carolina, are HUGE NC State fans. All three of my cousins went to NC State, and two of them live in Raleigh, which is a stones throw away from Durham. So I thought it would be a visit with Wes and Ashley and a family reunion all wrapped into one weekend! Well, my family couldn't make it, but we still had a great time tailgating with the Gaillard's. As in Vegas, Adam and I assumed new identities to get the Duke family perks - we may make this a vacation tradition!
ACC football is sooo different in SEC, or maybe it's the difference between private and public school! The seniors of Duke University Marching Band (aka: DUMB) had letters on their hats that spelled out "Go To Hell Carolina", which you don't at UT's games unless you are at a rowdy tailgate and it would be Florida, Alabama or Georgia! Duke's stadium is tiny compared to Neyland Stadium, but there was more of a small town atmosphere!
The student at Duke are VERY different on game day. Ashley told me that they dress in unusual attire for games, but I could have never imagined what I saw. There is not rhyme or reason to what they wear. It's almost as if the 80's Goodwill store threw up on the student section. They don't wear team colors or anything with a Duke logo on it. It's just pure unbridled randomness! For instance, one girl had on a black spandex leotard with caution tape tied around her body and head. Another guy was walking around in nothing but UnderArmor! Another girl had on metallic silver spandex tights on, which interestingly enough I saw at Target the other day - the 80's are back and in a bad way! Now, NC State girls - they wear dresses and cowboy boots. I don't quite understand that either, since cowboy boots cannot be comfortable, but it's better than spandex and caution tape!
We had a great time in Durham! The campus is gorgeous! Wes and Ashley were wonderful hosts to us. North Carolina feels like my second home!


























No comments: