Monday, January 19, 2009

No Water!

Adam and I had a very eventful weekend, starting bright and early Friday morning. As most of you know, it got very cold here in East Tennessee over the weekend. So, in preparation Adam and I decided to leave the faucets dripping in our master bathroom Thursday night because it was supposed to get down to 5 degrees and we had a little pipe issue last year (i.e. the builders forgot the insulate our master bathroom pipes at all!!!). Friday morning we were scheduled for our second Baby Knies appointment at 8 o'clock - just the family history appointment with a gallon of blood drawn! So I woke up bright and early to get a shower for our doctor's visit and there was NO water. Not a drop - anywhere in the house! We assumed that the water main must have busted somewhere in the neighborhood because there was no way our pipes could be frozen when we left the faucets dripping. So Adam and I ate our breakfast and brushed our teeth with the glass of water I leave by the bed every night since I wake up every morning feeling extremely dehydrated and we washed our hands with the one bottle of water that was left in the refrigerater.

So we went to our appointment, probably a little smellier than we would've liked, and like I mentioned earlier, the nurse took our family history and then another nurse named, Penny Lane, took what seemed like a gallon of blood. As she took the blood I kept singing the Beatles song in my head - I'm sure she gets that all the time! Our next appointment is the 30th!

So we got back home, hoping the water was miraculously back on and of course it wasn't. Adam went down to the clubhouse to see if the water was on there, and of course it was! I was so furious! We called the water department to have them come check everything out and the water was running out the water meter but still no water in the house. The water department guy said that either the pipe in the ground was frozen or the pipes in the house were frozen, both of which really shouldn't happen. He said that if the pipe in the ground froze then it wasn't buried deep enough, which is a code violation, and if the pipes in the house froze then most likely they weren't insulated properly, again, a code violation! So we called the builder and left a message for the warranty department, even though our warranty is up, we've obviously had pre-exisiting issues with pipes freezing. Finally after a few hours of not hearing back from the warranty department we called Jo Ann and Frank, desperate for a shower and packed up to go to Kingston to stay for the night. I jumped into the shower immediately - it was the best shower ever!
So even though we were at Jo Ann and Franks in the nice cozy house with running water, and hot running water to boot, I had a problem. I was supposed to make a cake for a friend of mine who was having her birthday party on Saturday! So I started baking the cake Friday night but I had issues with Jo Ann's oven or it has issues with me because the cake almost overflowed and then fell in, leaving it useless for cake decorating.
Saturday morning I had a Mary Kay meeting in Knoxville so I drove back for that and took my cake supplies to redo the cake. We actually had running water Saturday morning but only COLD water. I started the cake, but had to boil water on the stove to wash the dishes. It was a long and laborous process! I spent almost all day making the cake - 11AM to 7Pm - because the cake itself was made from scratch, not to mention the icing and then I covered it all with fondant and added more fondant decorations. I enjoyed making the cake but it would've been a lot easier and quicker with hot running water!
I had to take the cake to the Bistro at the Bijou downtown, and when I got there the Birthday Girl called me to tell me that they had to move to the bar across the street - so yes I was the pregnant lady in the bar, but only for a short time and no one was smoking! They had to move the birthday dinner because the pipes in the Bistro busted and water literally started to come down on the birthday group and was rushing out onto Gay Street!
So, today we finally got a call from the builder about the pipes - so much for that so called Emergency Warranty Number! They are coming tomorrow to take a look at the pipes and hopefully they will fix this problem. So the morals of the story are...don't buy a Saddlebrook Home, and if you have a house built through a company, hire your own inspector to check up on the house throughout the building process!

2 comments:

Perri said...

So, we don't know each other, but I grew up with Adam.

First, congratulations!

Second, just wanted to second your opinion on the Saddlebrook home and warranty issues =) We've had our fair share of them, also!

The Deakins said...

Man, thats scary, there's a Saddlebrook house plan or two that I love and johnny does too, but I guess these two stories might make us think twice. I guess they just throw them up in those neighborhoods too fast.