Friday, May 22, 2009

More Couponing Success!

Okay so I was so excited about my success with couponing yesterday, but I'm still no coupon champ like the women who post the other blogs. So I started looking into it more - seeing what they buy and coupons they use, etc.
Yesterday I bought some Nabisco 100 calorie snacks at Target for a pretty good deal - $0.79 when the original price is $2.79. I was so excited to get one of my favorite snacks at such a deal, especially since there are only 6 packs in the box for that price. I bought the snacks for our beach trip, but got a little hungry last night, so I ate a few packs.
Today, I decided to go back to Target, the Super Target this time since we were meeting some friends for dinner close by. I printed off another Target coupon and another manufacturer coupons and expected to pay the same $0.79 as yesterday. Adam was with me, so he got to see why I was so excited yesterday. This Target had the same snacks on sale for $2.04, down from $2.79! I got so excited and started laughing. Adam asked what was so funny and I told him that I would be getting my box of snacks for $0.04! 4 cents! He couldn't believe it.
Then we went to the travel/trial size toiletries section so he could get some toothpaste for the trip and they had travel sized Right Guard deodorant for $0.97 each. I pulled out a Right Guard coupon that I knew was going to expire tomorrow and read the details. It was for $1 off 2 deodorants - any size! So we got one free and a few cents knocked off the other!
Getting excited over buying a box of cookies for 4 cents and a travel sized deodorant for 94 cents may seem a little silly to most people, but it dawned on me how these women go into Kroger or Target and get $100 worth of groceries/toiletries for $15 to $20. Most of these coupon women only allow themselves to spend a certain amount of money a week on groceries/toiletries and/or only a certain amount of money at a particular store each week. So, these coupon women would have stocked up on the cookies and the travel sized deodorants! They would have gone to Target with 25 Target coupons and 25 manufacturer coupons for the cookies and bought 25 boxes and would have spent only $1 on all 25 boxes! Sounds like a good deal to me, especially since I love those cookies. They would do the same with the deodorant. I had two other coupons for the same deodorant so they would have bought several and used all three coupons.
I've also learned that these women stockpile non-perishable items. Some have only a 3-6 months supply, while others keep a 1 -2 year supply. One woman posted a picture of her stockpile. Basically she turned her garage into a pantry - the whole garage. She said the reason behind this, especially now with economic uncertainty, is that if her husband lost his job, she could still feed her family without spending money, except for perishable items, for years if she had to!
Also, some women will buy items that they get for free or next to nothing (like my cookies)in bulk and donate them to their church's food pantry or local shelters. That would be especially nice in Knoxville, because there is never a shortage of homeless in Knoxville and travel sized deodorants could come in handy with the rising temperatures!
So I am hoping to get better at couponing to benefit those less fortunate than myself and to benefit my cookie cravings!

2 comments:

~ Kaybe ~ said...

that is so neat that you wrote about this! i have been doing the coupon thing for about a year now, and you wouldn't believe how the savings add up! for the record i DO shop at food city alot (since i work there and all!), but krogers doubles coupons EVERY DAY, and i think they even triple on certain days! just thought i would let you know! hope you are feeling well still!!!

~ Kaybe ~ said...

oh, but to add to my comment, i do not do the stockpiling thing! i would go crazy with all that stuff in my house!