Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Getting Plugged In

I will apologize up front for the unorganized randomness that this post may entail.  I'm still collecting my thoughts but I feel if I don't get my current thoughts out then I may explode!

The past month or so I have been doing a lot of thinking.  I'm working on becoming a positive thinker, setting goals (which takes some thinking), reflecting inward, and becoming closer to God.  Most days I feel like my life is running me instead of me running my life!  I have been reading a lot of helpful books, listening to inspirational CDs, saying my affirmations, but I still feel unsuccessful and worn out at the end of the day.

Adam and I just got back from our week long Western Caribbean Cruise, which was MUCH needed!  I hated to be away from my little man so long, but Mommy and Daddy needed a break, a chance to reconnect, and some toddler-free time!  I took all my helpful books on the trip and barely read a single one. We were having too much fun I guess and I like to read by the pool, but when it's over 100 degrees my tush HAS to be in water or I feel like my skin is on fire!  Now I know how a turkey feels!

We had a wonderful stateroom attendant on the cruise named Jonathan.  He was really nice and helpful and said "Good Morning" every morning, asked us how we were doing, etc.  I rarely have anyone say "good morning" to me so I felt special!

One thing I will say about myself is that I find myself in interesting conversations with people.  Mom calls me a "freak magnet," but I think people just find it easy to talk to me and tell me their life story, even when I haven't initiated a conversation or asked for their life story.  Sometimes it's awkward and sometimes I find myself in a really good conversation with a stranger!

The last night of our cruise, my bestie and I were walking back to our rooms for the night to pack and such.  The stateroom team's rolly station (with towels, etc) was parked between our rooms.  Jonathan greeted us and asked if we were ready to go home.  We both said "yes" and "no."  I noticed while we were all talking that Jonathan pulled some little cards with stuff written on it out of a drawer on the rolly station.  I figured they were little cards that he probably left in the room to notify us of some check out procedure, etc.  He held onto them the whole time during our casual chat with him.  As my bestie and I turned to go into our rooms, Jonathan asked me if I was a "spiritual person."  I stopped, turned back around and said "actually, yes!"  Now let me say that "spiritual" means different things to different people.  For me personally, I am a Christian, but I also accept beliefs from other religions, because I ultimately believe they are basically the same thing, just a different way of saying it.  For instance, I am currently reading The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama and find it VERY intriguing and practical.  I also believe in the mind-body-soul concept and using meditation, yoga, and prayer.  So, yes, I would say that I'm spiritual.

Anywho, Jonathan said that he was the ability to "read" other spiritual people.  It sounded a little hokey, but honestly out of our group of people, I probably am the most spiritual.  He said that he could tell that I think negative thoughts (yes :( ) and he asked me if I say affirmations (yes!).  He said that I needed to start visualizing my affirmations.  He said that if I wanted a house then to put up a picture of the house I wanted (how did he know I wanted another house?!)  We talked about desires, goal setting, positive thinking, prayer, meditation and yoga - all my favs!  All the while, holding onto those cards.

Then he asked me what virtues I lack.  Whoa what a question!  It kinda caught me off guard, but I said "confidence."  He looked through his cards and handed me a card that had Confidence written at the top of it.  On the front it defined confidence and on the back it listed actions to put confidence into practice and some affirmations about confidence.  It was great!

Then he looked at me with the sideways glace, like he was studying me, and I think he was.  He started hunting through the cards and then he asked me if I had problems with self-discipline. I looked at him like OMG and I said, "hand it over!"  Nail on head!  He talked to me about self-discipline and what I have never equated to self-discipline was self-control. I was thinking more along the lines of how I don't like to wake up and get to work and let small things get in the way of important things.

 He mentioned that my body language was telling everyone that I met all the problems I had.  He said people can read the body language and sense the negativity and we actually project it onto people.  Now let me say that when it comes to people affecting me, I have a long fuse, but their is a bomb at the end.  I can take a lot of abuse from people before I explode!  The explosion is a lack of self-discipline and I never thought of it that way!  Jonathan started talking to me more about meditation and yoga, saying it would help with carrying the emotion in my body and throwing it off on others, etc.

I know Adam and my bestie were thinking I had gotten stuck in some crazy conversation, but I truly enjoyed it!  Jonathan said he felt like he was put there to talk to me about these topics and to inspire me and offer me some guidance.  I honestly felt the same.  I think God puts people, experiences, and obstacles in our path for a reason.  Jonathan was there for a reason!

One of the last things Jonathan mentioned was praying more.  I truly lack there.  I don't pray as much as I'd like or as much as I feel is necessary.  Jonathan said that he likes to explain to people that praying to God is like plugging in the vacuum.  You can't see the electricity, but when you plug in the vacuum, it works!  And when you talk to God, even though you can't see Him, He's there!

So, I'm taking this experience and getting "Plugged In."  I'm getting plugged in to God - the Ultimate Source, and I'm getting plugged into my body and mind.  I've started meditating daily using mindfulness and breathing techniques, praying more, ask for God's guidance, and I will soon be getting down with some downward dog and practicing yoga again!  Right now, my favorite is corpse pose - oh wait, sleeping doesn't count as yoga!

I'm so thankful for my conversation with Jonathan and his nifty cards!  I thank God for placing him in my path!

No comments: