Thursday, October 28, 2010

15ish Months

I'm a little behind again on the blogging updates.  This has been a busy month, no doubt!  There are lots of changes that are or will be taking place with the Knieses' Pieces!  We are trying to get our house ready to sell, which means I am getting our house ready to sell!  I am also doing a little redecorating/staging in hopes that the house will be more appealing...all during Ryne's 1-hour naps.

Ryne is growing like a weed!  He's learning new stuff and saying new words almost every day!  It's all happening so fast that it's getting harder and harder to keep up with all his accomplishments.  One major accomplishment is he is going to bed on his own now!  Whoo Hoo!  

A few weeks ago, it became hard to stick to our bedtime routine.  Ryne will no longer sit still long enough to get through even one bedtime book and he doesn't like to be rocked to sleep anymore.  So basically, when it's time for bed, we put him in it.  Some nights he cries only a few minutes and some nights longer before he finally goes to sleep, but all in all, it's progress.  Naptime is still a bit of a struggle, because it is getting harder to tell when he is actually sleepy, but he usually goes to sleep within minutes after being put down for a nap.  Sometimes I think he continues to play and run around like his head is on fire and his tail is catching, just to keep himself awake!

As for language development, I still think he's doing well.  He will occasionally say "Nigh Nigh" for "Night Night"  and he started calling Mom "Nan Nan" and "Nanna".  I find that strange though because we refer to her as Granny Boo!  He is sort of digressing, for lack of a better word, with some of his words.  His "ba bas" and "bite bites" and "bye byes" are all starting to sound very similar.  He used to call his favorite stuffed animal, Blue Bear, "boo ba."  Now he's just referred to as "ba ba."  "Bite bite" sounds more like "bye bye" or even "ba ba."

The one thing I will say is that he is great at showing you what he means.  Ryne will take his bottle to the refrigerator or the counter where I usually fill his milk up, when he wants more milk.  He will go to the pantry door and point while saying some form of "bite bite," when he wants something to eat.  The same goes for if he sees something on the counter top that he wants to eat, like a "nanna" (banana).  His other best bud, Tad, is now called "Dad Dad," which is common, but it's still a little frustrating for us all.

I have started introducing more sign language with Ryne due to the overgeneralizing of vowels, in hopes that I can better understand him.  So far he knows the sign for "more" and "duck."  I am working hard on teaching the sign for "eat" or in our case "bite bite,"  and the sign for up, since he says "dan" for up or down.

As for motor development, Ryne is zooming along quite well.  He can climb up into chairs and onto our sofa (with a little help by using Tad's head as a step stool)!  He dances and tries to jump, especially to music.  He knows some hand motions to Itsy Bitsy Spider and Patty Cake.  He knows where his toes, feet and head are and will point to them.  He has quite an arm on him too and he has finally learned to kick a ball instead of stepping on it and falling over!

Ryne is also a whiz at puzzles!  He can match up the pieces very well.  Some of the puzzles are a little hard to get the piece into the hole, but he can match the dog with the dog and the goat with the goat, even if the piece is left a little askew!  He will also match up his grapes by sticking the two halves together to make a whole.

Ryne is also taking direction well...when it benefits him, anyway.  If I tell him that we are going bye bye or outside, he will go get his shoes and bring them to me.  If I tell him to go to Adam, Papa, etc., or to go get Blue Bear, Tad or the duck, he will do it!  When working on puzzles if he has the piece upside down or sideways and I tell him to turn it around he will!  Ryne runs A LOT so he falls A LOT.  I tell him to brush the dirt off and he rubs his hands together to get the dirt off.  It just amazes me how much a child knows and comprehends at 15 months of age.  Now if I can just get him to not go onto the road without me and be still while I change his diaper...but those apparently do not benefit him!

I'm excited to see what excitement the next month brings!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Way to go Ryne! :)