Tuesday, September 23, 2008

An All-Nighter!

I haven't pulled an all-nighter since college - May 5, 2005 to be exact! I got rear-ended on the way home from one final and had a Western Civ II final the next morning at 8AM. However, with a concussion, contusion and no sleep I still managed to ace the final! I never was one to stay up all night studying frantically for a final. I LOVE sleep and cannot function without lots of it!
Last night Adam came home from work and showed me his knee, which has had a rash on the back of it for a few days now. We thought it was a fungal rash from wearing a knee brace to play basketball. When he showed it to me last night the back was still very inflamed and the front was red, rashy and swollen! He intended to go the to doctor for the first time since I've known him to have it checked out since it seemed to be getting worse. My motherly instinct kicked in and I started checking him all over to see if it had spread anywhere else. He had a few more red spot down the same leg, but no where else.
After we ate dinner, Adam scratched an itchy spot and realized that the rash had spread to his biceps. Then a few minutes later it spread to his forearms. I decided to look him over again and realized it was now on his back - just a few red spots. We sat down to watch a show on TV and at the commercial break he realized that he had huge welts on his waist and hips, so I really started to worry. I told him he should probably go to the ER to have it checked out since it was spreading and the little red spots were becoming big welts.
Long story short: we went to the ER twice. Adam refused to wait 3 1/2 hours the first time so we went home, and of course he got worse with welts on his eyelids and feet and behind his ears. So we went back again at midnight and the wait was then 5 hours, but we decided to stick it out since I was afraid something might happen to him if we went to sleep, or that I might not be able to sleep from worrying.
Adam has never had a allergy to anything before, but 29 years later you can develop one, and most likely to something that he has used or eaten many times before. We are still not sure what it is but hopefully we will before he gets into it again. In the ER they gave Adam a shot of antihistamine and an IV steroid. Nothing changed and it worried the nurses and ER doctor, but they sent him home around 4:45 AM because there was nothing else they could do. The rash finally started to go down around 10 this morning. His wrists and knee are still swollen but not as red.
So what truly makes this an all-nighter? It's not just that we didn't get home until 5 AM. I had a BNI meeting at 7AM this morning, which is a little earlier than I normally start my day. So basically I had no sleep...zero, nada, none - until after my meeting was over at 9AM! Sleeplessness definitely has an affect on me. I could barely remember how to sign my own name when I checked Adam out at the ER and then in my one minute presentation at BNI, I could hardly articulate the details of my profession.
But I would do it all over again in a heartbeat because Adam is my everything!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Wow!! Glad he decided to wait out the 5 hrs at the ER!! Thats just like a man to not want to wait!! ;)
Hope he is feeling better now!!