Wednesday, September 3, 2008

From the City of Sin to the City of Angels!

Where to begin - this was by far the craziest vacation I have ever been on! I will probably have to break the story into two blogs since we jammed as much stuff into one trip as humanly possible. So I will start with Vegas!
Originally Adam and I wanted to go to LA to see the Vols play and see the area. My experience with LA is only LAX. I flew into LAX seven years ago on my way to New Zealand and Australia, so I wanted to be able to experience the city this time. Adam's cousin and a friend of hers were also going to UT's game at UCLA so we decided to make a pit stop in Vegas for a few days, since Adam and his cousin had never been - this may be Adam's last hoorah before he turns the big 3-0! We left Knoxville on Thursday morning and drove to Nashville for our 12:30 (cst) flight with a layover in Dallas/Fort Worth. We got into Vegas around 6ish and got our rental car and decided to drive the Vegas strip while waiting for his cousin and her friend to get into Vegas on another flight. We drove around and we ate dinner and then we got a call from Kellye (adam's cousin) that their layover in Phoenix was going to be a bit longer due to bad weather, but that they were expected to be able to board the plane shortly. Well, long story short, a tornado hit Phoenix and the airport lost power, their flight was canceled and then cleared and canceled again and then cleared and so instead of getting in to Vegas at 9 or 10 at night they got in at 5 AM! Adam and I could not get into our room at Caesar's Palace without them so we got a cheap hotel room for the night, so I didn't have to continue to sleep in the back of our Saturn Aura rental car! When finally got into the suite at Caesar's on Friday morning there were clothes all over the suite. The airport baggage people left all the baggage outside in the tornado (i.e. hail, pouring rain, etc.) so their clothes were soaked!
We had a high rollers suite from a friend of a friend (we call him Mr. Pappagiorgio - National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation - hope you picked up on that), so we got to stay in a $1100 a night suite for free and all the food and drinks in Caesar's for free. We decided to make the most of our free suite and comped food and drink so we made plans for the pool! And of course, I forgot my bathing suit. Adam and I ran across the street and found the one and only bathing suit that was small enough to fit. Well, it was definitely small enough! Maybe the reason it was so cheap was because it had very little fabric in the back - lets just say that my tan lines showed tremendously in the back!
Along with the free drinks we had the best bartender ever - Antonio! I told him that I wanted something frozen and he said he could make any drink I wanted!!! He made the absolutely best strawberry daiquiri EVER! At $12 a pop they should be the best but again, lucky for us it was all on Caesar's! When we came back to the room Adam and I realized we were missing some money from our wallets (we left them in the room since our food and drinks were free at the pool). We are figuring that the housekeeping lady decided to take an extra special tip for herself - about $140! Adam was furious, but we didn't press it since we were staying for free. Later that evening we walked to Vegas strip, went to a karaoke bar and then dinner at Margaritaville! I had the Pink Cadillac Margarita - it's a Mary Kay thing! Hopefully one day I will be driving one instead of drinking one! After dinner we saw the Bellagio fountains show, which is beautiful!
The next morning Adam and I ordered in breakfast in bed! It was by far the most expensive breakfast I've ever had! After breakfast we went shopping a little - Caesar's Forum and some of the other casinos have some VERY expensive shops around! When we came back up to our room the sticky-fingered housekeeping lady told us that we were supposed to be checking out, but we were supposed to be staying until Sunday. Adam and his cousin's friend went down to the front desk to ask about it. They were told that there were no other rooms because they were all booked. The front desk attendant called the Executive Host of the Caesar's and he told the attendant to do "whatever [Mr. Pappagiorgio] wants!" So we got to stay! Then after that mix up, we were back to the pool for free food and drinks! It was actually overcast on Saturday but it was still over 100 degrees and I still got a little sun. I thought the rain clouds were following Adam and I since we had so much rain at the house earlier in the week and another roof leak - or the same roof leak that was not properly fixed the last time! We also decided to 'borrow' some pool towels from Caesar's since we were headed to the beach on Sunday! That evening we had drinks and appetizers at Bobby Flay's restaurant MESA which was completely booked the entire evening, and then we went to the Treasure Island show. Later we headed back to the hotel for Cleopatra's bar (free drinks again) to chill until dinner. One thing I was not accustomed to anymore was all the smoking in restaurants and in the casino. We are spoiled now in Tennessee with no smoking and I love that! I had the worst sinus infection during the trip so the cigarette smoke was killing me at Cleopatra's. Adam and I headed back to the room for some more free room service. We had a very merger dinner since our appetizers were so good and filling at MESA. I had a Caesar salad (the best Caesar's salad I've ever had) and a bowl of Chicken Noodle soup (again the best) and Adam had the chicken finger plater. Along with the two Pepsi's, the grand total for the dinner was over 70 bucks - thank goodness we were not paying for it!
Sunday morning we got up early, loaded up the Aura and drove to LA. I'm so glad we decided to drive and not fly. It was awesome to see the many many mountains of Nevada. The only thing they lacked was a little greenery! I'm so spoiled with Tennessee mountains that Nevada mountains looked a little dull, but they were sill majestic! I never saw a cactus either. I was so disappointed!
Adam and I want to go back to Vegas again. I've been twice and have yet to see a show. Cher, Chris Rock and Lewis Black were all there this weekend and I would've loved to have seen them or some of the other famous shows! Two or three days are just not enough to see all of Vegas! If we ever go again hopefully we can get the high roller suite again from Mr. Pappagiorgio- it's the only way to go!!!


Yes, a TV in the bathroom - pee pee TV!

The sweet Suite!



Adam at the Caesar's fountains!


Us with Free Drinks!


Us at Margaritaville!



Pink Cadillac Margarita!



The Bellagio at night!


The Bellagio Fountains!


Master Bedroom

Adam enjoying High Roller Life!



Caesar



Pool Time again!



At MESA


Nevada Mountains

Could use a little grass or tress - something green!

2 comments:

Wes and Ashley said...

Haha you always have the craziest stories! That was an extremely nice suite yall stayed in, and free drinks... seriously! VIP

Wes and Ashley said...

By the way I have the cd and I keep meaning to watch it and then I forget. But I will!