Monday, October 19, 2009

If Life Were a Musical...

Okay, so maybe I'm getting corny during my early days of motherhood, or maybe I take after my mother [shudder at the thought], who is a huge goober, as we like to call her! My mother is always making up some crazy song about anything and everything, and most of which make absolutely no sense. Babies seem to love it - grown children...not so much! However, Mom is sometimes creative. She helped me make up a song, which I sang for my 3rd grade book report! That's right, I got up in front of the entire class, dress as an Indian, and sang my book report about Pocahontas! I'm pretty sure I got an A on the book report and peed my faux rawhide dress, since I was incredibly shy!
Anywho, I have recently found myself singing a lot to Ryne. He loves it! However, I make up cool songs or sing actual real songs instead of the nonsense my mother comes up with! So, I thought I'd share our daily 'musical playlist', so to speak!
Every morning I sing the "Good Morning" song, which is basically the "Happy Birthday" song, but with good morning inserted. Also, if Ryne is a little drowsy in the morning or after a nap, I will say: "Wakey Wakey, Eggs and Bakey!"
Next, is usually "Yellow" by Coldplay. I call Ryne my Little Superstar a lot, and it's amazing how I've heard "Yellow" a million times before, but never had an emotional connection to it until Ryne was born!
At bath time, I usually sing the Rubber Ducky song from Sesame Street, and Ryne actually has a little rubber ducky that he smiles and talks to during bath time!
Then while dressing Ryne after his bath (he usually screams getting out of the tub, so singing calms him down), I sing the chorus of "So Fresh, So Clean" by Outkast! I know, what you're thinking, Outkast isn't quite baby material, but I have to throw a little spice into the mix, and I keep it PG!
During the day I will sing songs that pop into my head or fit my mood. Ryne has been bombarded with "I've Got That Mary Kay Enthusiasm" (along with the hand motions) lately, since my hard work is coming to fruition!
At night, I usually sing or hum "Stay Awake" from the Mary Poppins movie, but don't always believe what you see in the movies because it doesn't always work with Ryne. Some nights he just won't calm down and I know he's thinking that Mary Poppins can choke on her 'spoon full of sugar!' Ha!
So I guess I'm the goober now, but Ryne seems to love it, and I love to see him smile!

No comments: