Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cracking the Catalina Couponing Code at Kroger!

Say that ten times fast! Anyway, I started couponing a while back, but ever since the baby came, I haven't been able to dedicate much time to it. I still cut coupons out of the Sunday paper, and will hunt down baby coupons when I have time, but I don't have the time to hunt down and print a coupon for almost every item we use! I was fortunate enough to get a visit from the Enfamil Coupon Fairy at Kroger back in December, but my luck started to run dry shortly after. As some of you may know, I made a late night run to Kroger to get some Enfamil formula (as a supplement) for Ryne. Adam's mom had given me a catalina coupon (the ones that print at the register) for $5 off Enfamil powder to use at Kroger, hence my late night run to Kroger and not Walmart. While at Kroger I noticed that a very nice person left a handful of Enfamil catalina coupons stuck between two cans of ready to feed formula. I couldn't resist, and was very grateful! So I bought a can of powder with Jo Ann's coupon and two cans of Ready to Feed (per coupon restrictions) with one of the new-found coupons! Then at check out, another powder formula coupon printed! So I went in with one coupon and walked out with 6 new ones (Yatzee!)! Then the next day I got 2 Enfamil coupons from the company in the mail! Like I said, the Enfamil Coupon Fairy visited!
So, obviously I've been buying formula at Kroger for the past month, and not receiving any new coupons. It just didn't make sense. I had decided that I was going to use all the coupons and then start going back to Walmart until Kroger got their act together! I figure since we live so close to both, I can play them off each other! A few days ago, Jo Ann brought us 2 more Enfamil powder catalina coupons for Kroger and I still wondered why I wasn't getting any. Jo Ann said she hadn't been buying formula there, so that struck me as odd. When I used the last of my Kroger catalina coupons, a Gerber 1st foods catalina coupon printed, which I was glad to have because the baby is now eating veggies. I used the first Gerber coupon and did not receive another one. So the next time I went to Kroger I bought a different brand of baby food, and lo and behold, a Gerber coupon printed!
So today I went back to Kroger because I needed more baby food and wipes. We typically use Gerber brand food products and we use Pampers wipes because they work better in the wipes warmer than Huggies. I took the Gerber coupon and a Huggies coupon because I didn't have a Pampers coupons and put my theory to the test! I bought 3 Gerber foods (per coupon restrictions), 1 jar of the competitor's brand (we are testing out bananas in the morning!), and I bought a pack of Huggies wipes. So guess what printed out at the register - 2 Gerber food coupons printed and 1 pampers wipes coupon printed! From what I can deduce, if you buy the most expensive/popular brand (i.e. Gerber, Pampers, Enfamil) they will occasionally give you a coupon for that brand. If you buy the competitor's/less expensive brand, they will print you a coupon for the most expensive/popular brand! I bet if I had bought Similac formula, an Enfamil coupon would have printed! So now I know how to get what I want at Kroger, even if it takes sacrificing my favorite brand from time to time!
As you can see, I enjoy celebrating the small victories, and one day, when Ryne is through with formula and baby food I will pay it forward and leave my coupons for another parent!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a funny story & so true!

Don't forget to call Kroger Customer service directly to let them know that since you have been shopping Kroger more often lately you wanted to ensure your information was up to date on your Kroger Card.

Also let customer service know that you want to make sure you are signed up to receive promotional offers at home. Things like their Kroger MyMagazine, store coupons and other money saving coupons like $5/$50.

Kroger is my favorite place to shop since they double coupons! :)