Saturday, May 15, 2010

Craftiness

It's getting warmer here in Tennessee, so it's time to bust out the tank tops and sundresses! A lot of my summer clothes from last summer, are in much need of alterations. This time last year, I was six months pregnant. I didn't want to spend money on a lot of maternity clothes because when we have another child, it may not be during the same time of year. So the maternity clothes may never be worn again. I thought the best thing to do was buy empire waist dresses and tops, stretchy skirts and loose fitting rompers so I could wear them the next year. I honestly thought my hips would never go back, I'd always have a little more weight on me, etc. Well.....not so much the case! I lost more weight than what I gained with pregnancy and I can't seem to get some weight back on. [I know you want to smack me, right?] If you've ever seen me take Ryne out to eat dinner, you would understand why. So I've decided that since Ryne's wardrobe is cutting into my wardrobe budget, I need to get crafty with some of the clothes I already have.
I recently came across a blog called New Dress A Day where this girl buys dresses muu muus from yard sales, and such, and she alters them into cute dress and shirts. She has a $365 budget for 365 dresses, hence, a new dress a day! I decided to take some of her ideas and put them to go use. I had a white chiffon dress that I bought to wear at our wedding reception (almost 5 years ago!). I never changed out of my wedding gown, so the dress was never really worn. With David and Sarah's wedding coming up, I wanted to wear the dress, but I can't wear a white dress, when it's not my wedding! So, in the words of celeb fashion coordinator, Rachel Zoe, "I dye!" I dyed the dress a pretty, canary yellow!
I have never dyed anything before so I figured if it didn't work, I could try to redye it black, or throw it away! It actually turned out pretty well!
Now, I just need to learn to sew so I can start altering other dresses and clothes!


Before: plain white dress

Dye Job

After: very yellow and wrinkly!

No comments: