Wow! Today was an exciting day again in the Knies house! Ryne had a couple of 'firsts' today. I gave Ryne a bath about mid morning because he played outside ALL day yesterday and I knew he was probably a little sweaty after all that time outside. Anywho, Ryne said the word "poop" and I asked "Do you have to poop?" Well of course, while I was asking, he started going! I was sitting on the lid of his potty so I didn't have to sit on my knees to bathe him. When I realized he was starting, I hopped up, lifted the potty lid, tried to get the pee pee guard up, grabbed Ryne and sat him down on the potty. I wasn't sure if he'd go or not since he did do a little in the tub (ewwww!). He sat there about a minute with a stunned look on his face and finally I got him up to see if he had actually gone. To my surprise, he did! I was so excited! Ryne kept pointing at it and I gave him tons of hugs, kisses, praises and we clapped our hands!
After I got him dried off (he just came from the tub so he was dripping wet) and in a diaper and clothes, I went back in to clean out the potty...and the tub. I dumped it all in the actual toilet and put the lid down and flushed it. [Side note: did you know that if you don't put the lid down when you flush, toilet water can spray out up to 6 ft in almost any direction? Usually your toothbrush is within 6 ft. 'Nough said!] Ryne pointed to the real toilet and said "this where poop go." Again, I was so excited! I think he understands this whole pooping thing! He was so excited when he got a sticker on his Elmo Potty Chart! A big shout out to Potty Time Elmo!
I think what threw me off when Ryne first said "poop" was two different things. We had been discussing "purple." He has a purple octopus and a purple fish tub toys. He said "purple" for the first time today and seems to be able to tell me what's purple. At first though, purple sounded more like "poople" - he was dropping the 'r' sound. So when he said "poop" I didn't know if he meant purple or poop. He's also never said "poop" before.
Again, I know I may sound like a broken record from my last post about Ryne's language development, but it seems like he uses words when they are actually relevant. Today is a good example of how it is hard for us to know what Ryne knows or understands sometimes. It's as if words to him are like 'good china' - he only brings it out when the occasion calls for it!
Ryne NEVER ceases to amaze me! I love his charisma and his passion, and all his little quirks! I can't wait to see what the rest of the day and the rest of his life holds!
How We’re Organizing Our Digitized Photos
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment