Saturday, February 28, 2009

16 Week Check Up

Friday, Adam and I had our 16-week Baby Knies check up. They did the usual - checking my weight, blood pressure, baby's heart beat, etc. Before I stepped onto the scale, my nurse commented that she didn't think I had gained a pound. Well, I proved her wrong! I gained 1 lbs! I think that makes the total about 2 -3 lbs, bringing me up to a whopping....nope, I won't tell. As much as I would love to prove wrong the friends of mine who said "Congratualtions! I can't wait until you get fat," I don't want the rest of you blessing me with words that only sailors use, so it will be a Knies Family secret!
Adam and I really liked the doctor we had this time - more personable than the ole stick-in-the-mud we had last time! He said that I was carrying low, which is one reason why I still don't look very pregnant, especially with blue jeans on. We decided not to do the blood test to check for brain or spinal malfunctions, since basically all you can do is worry or abort, and aborting is out of the question. We love this baby so much already and will love it no matter how many fingers or toes or no matter any other complications it could possibly have. The doctor said he personally didn't think I needed to do the blood test either, since I am young and healthy!
We got to hear the heartbeat again. Mom was in Oak Ridge on Friday as well, so she got to hear the heartbeat too. It truly is amazing to hear that little thumping sound, and know that everything is okay! The heartbeat was still high - 154! We will have to see if the old wife's tale is true next month when we get to find out the sex!
The doctor asked if I had any questions, and Adam piped up about my weight! Dr. Peters said that he usually doesn't hear parents-to-be asking about whether or not mom-to-be is gaining enough weight, it is usually the exact opposite. He said that I WILL gain weight, but as long as I am eating healthy, then I am fine and the weight will come! I am still having morning sickness on a weekly basis, if not more often, so that is one reason why I have a lower pregnancy weight. Dr. Peters said that should subside before long. I hope he's right!
Our next appointment is March 27th. We will find out if Baby Knies is an Addison, or a Baby Boy Knies (we still have not picked out a boy name). It will be an exciting day! Until then, keep watching for bump pictures!

No comments: