Friday, June 24, 2011

Lights Out!

I'm glad this week is nearing it's end!  We've had one CRAZY week, this week!  Along with Ryne acting like a total maniac this week, we had a little power outage due to some storms that passed through Tuesday evening.

During dinner we saw the ugly dark clouds moving quickly across the sky.  Then came a little lightening ("boom boom" as Ryne calls it!) and then came the rain and wind.  Within two minutes, our power was out!  We figured that our power would come back on shortly, like it usually does.  Well, God had other plans!  We went to bed that night, thinking the power would come on sometime during the night.  And it didn't...which is kind of a good thing because the TV blasting would have woken us all up.

Adam got up the next morning and took a less than warm shower and left for work.  Guys are fortunate enough to be able to look decent without electricity.  I figured that the power would come on within a few hours and Ryne and I could go about our day.  Adam called later to tell me the main road we use to get to the highway was closed because a huge tree had fallen across it and that there were several trees down on the road leading into our neighborhood.  Finally around 11am, Ryne and I decided to pack it up and go to Kingston to visit PaPa until the power came back on.  I couldn't have imagined that we would be staying in Kingston longer than a day.  I also didn't pack accordingly!

Ryne and I spent Wednesday night in Kingston.  Adam stayed at the house, even without power because  Wednesday is his late day at work and he had to be back at work by 7 am Thursday morning.  Apparently his shower Thursday morning was unbearably cold!  Our neighborhood has a Facebook page (kinda crazy, but in this case, very helpful), so I tracked our power progress through there.

It seemed like, we were NEVER going to get power!  Everyone around us had power.  Just our neighborhood was out.  One neighbor called KUB Wednesday evening and asked about the power and she was told that we were not priority because there were only 55 outages in our area!  Strangely enough, that's the amount of houses that are in our neighborhood!  That was a little disheartening to hear.

Finally, after forty-three hours, we got our power back on!  When I got home, the house smelled terrible!  Everything in our refrigerator had spoiled and everything in our freezer had melted and spoiled.  I had been planning to cook salmon for dinner Wednesday night.  Note to self:  next time the power goes out, throw away salmon immediately!

Forty-three hours seemed like a long long time, but we are fortunate to now have our power back on.  There are still some parts of Knox County that still do not have electricity restored and a few more lost power from the tornadic weather that moved through last night.  Mother Nature:  what gives?

Here's to a fabulous weekend and a better week next week!

No comments: