It's been so hot here lately, but somehow I managed to pass out cold today! Today I had to go to the doctor's office for some blood work. I've had a blood panels run before and never really had trouble before. I don't want to see the needle go in, but it doesn't bother me to see it in my arm afterwards or even to see blood. I've also had glucose tests before where I had to fast for 10 to 12 hours before hand because I have low blood sugar that I control with food. I did fine during the last fasting test, but almost fainted walking out afterwards. So I tried to prepare myself and scouted out a Coke machine in the building that I would go to after the blood work, so I could drive home safely. Well, all that planning was for nothing.
I went in today for the blood work and was fine until it took a little longer to get my blood to come out. Apparently I was still dehydrated from being outside a lot yesterday, so my blood was thick and not coming out quickly. After a little while I started getting that feeling that the world was closing in on me and I started getting a little warm. I told the phlebotomist that I was starting to feel bad and she said "okay" and started to get the needle out. And then I woke up with my head laying on the table next to me and 4 nurses trying to revive me with cold towels, fans, Coke and crackers!
I really scared the poor girl who was drawing my blood. Not only did I pass out on the table, my lips lost color, I started twitching and my eyes were open the entire time! She apparently yelled out some code for 'unconscious, hypoglycemic, dehydrated girl' and the nurses came flocking! The nurse that gave me the Coke was an older lady. She said that she has seen many people pass out, but never with their eyes open. I could tell she was freaked out! Another nurse (the one with the cold, wet towels) kept coming back to check on not just me, but the phlebotomist!
They put a note in my chart that I must lay down next time they do blood work! I've been flagged! I just hope they got enough blood to run the blood panel because I really don't want to do this again for awhile!
How We’re Organizing Our Digitized Photos
1 week ago
1 comment:
I saw where you had posted about this on facebook, but hearing the story play out is super creepy!! Eyes open? If I had been that poor girl taking your blood I might have fainted too!! I'm glad you're OK now! Sheesh! Scary, mama!
Post a Comment