Friday, March 7, 2008

A New Earth

My last semester of college I took the Senior Seminar course in Psychology - my less than mediocre major. The class was known for being an 'easy A.' The focus of the class was meditation and 'new age' topics. The first 15 minutes of almost every class was spent lying on the floor in meditation...or sleeping! Towards the middle of the semester we starting reading a book for class called The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. The book focused on the NOW - thinking in the present! Basically the gist of the very simple, yet complex book was that the way to live is by living and thinking in the present moment. Thinking too much about the future causes anxiety and thinking too much about the past causes regret and/or depression for some. I really enjoyed the book, but it was very dense in material so we had to take it one chapter at a time.

Last month I was watching Oprah, as usual, and she introduced her new Oprah's Book Club book of the month and it was a new book by Eckhart Tolle, called A New Earth, Awakening to Your Life's Purpose. Immediately I ran out and got the book knowing that if Oprah was raving about it then it had to be good. She even started a online class that meets every Monday night, live with her and Eckhart, which I enrolled in!

A New Earth is sooo much easier to read than The Power of Now. It is profound and enlightening! So many people have been writing into oprah.com about their 'Aha moments' and telling what page on which they had their Aha moment. I was a little disappointed that these people were only having 1 Aha moment. I was having Aha moment after Aha moment with each page that I turned! I felt as if someone wrote a book about my life, and wondered if I should be getting some royalties for the inspiration! It is disappointing to think that the world has become so negative lately, and much is lost of what true human nature is.

I feel like this book is helping my life, my job, my marriage and my relationships with others. I love how Tolle uses excerpts from the Bible to relate to his message in the book, because I try to use the Bible as a guideline for my life. There is not much more that I can explain in words - it is like a burst of positive energy or life! However, the feeling you will get from reading the book really has no word for it; it just IS!

I suggest that EVERYONE go buy the book and read it! You may not understand the entire meaning of the book the first time you read it, but read it again and it will come to you. This book is truly life-changing!

No comments: