Monday, December 15, 2008

Toys-R-Not-Us

Mom came up to Knoxville yesterday to go shopping for River for Christmas. Adam and I rode along with her to get our gifts for River as well. We had a lot of fun picking out cool, educational gifts for little Riv. However, it will be a long long time before I step foot in Toys R Us again, especially at Christmas! That place was absolutely crawling with people, including kids! As soon as we walked in the door I could hear screaming and crying! I could hear the hearts breaking and the throwing of tantrums and hissy fits as mothers bravely told their children that they couldn't have that toy, but if they were good Santa might bring it to them!
I made the decision right then and there that my children will NEVER step foot in that store! Adam and I might brave the store one day for whatever the future Cabbage Patch doll or Tickle Me Elmo might be, but our children will not see the inside if I can help it! The merchandising in that store is unbelievable! All the cool stuff is at eye level - for children. All the toys now are in bright colorful boxes that look so inviting. Maybe it's too bright and that is what triggers the seizures of tantrums that I heard!?! Then of course to top it off there are the parents who let their children do anything and are totally submissive while their children are running around like they are on a sugar high or snorted their Ritalin instead of taking it orally! When other parents turn to you and say "Good Luck," there's a problem - seriously! Don't get me wrong, I love children and have had many jobs in college working with them, but I run a tight ship - a ship with discipline and proper behavior! Sadly, they don't sell that in brightly colored boxes at Tantrums-R-Us!

Tantrums-R-Us: Where a Kid can be a [fall down in the floor, kicking, screaming,and crying] Kid!

No comments: