It is soooo hard to believe that my baby is a year and a half! I still don't want to believe it. Time is passing too quickly, even though this little phase that Ryne is in is driving me bonkers!
So here's his stats:
Weight: whopping 23 lbs and 0.5 oz, which is 18% (he's gained half an ounce since 17 months old)
Length: 32", which is 50% ( he was in the twenty-something percentile at 15 months, so he's growing like a weed.
Head: 19", which is 55% (this is down. He was in the 75% percentile at one time. So basically his body is catching up to his big brain!)
Language development: good - too bad whining is not language development or Ryne would be getting higher marks here! Ha! I read on the little 18 month info sheet from the doctor that he should be saying 6 - 10 words. I decided to count all the words that I could remember that he knows and uses and he's at least in his 30s, if not more - it's hard to remember them all. He is also getting better at pronouncing words properly too. He used to call an apple a "babble" or "bapple". Now he can say "apple." He makes weird sounds a lot too. Adam things he is trying to make more sounds for new letters and words.
Comprehension: more than you'd imagine and more than he lets on!
Ryne is really enjoying Dr. Seuss books right now. He actually lets me read to him again, which I really enjoy. I was worried for several months when the books in our house started collecting dust bunnies! They say that reading to your child is one of the best things you can do, but reading to a moving, screaming target is less than enjoyable! I am going to take him to the library and the bookstore more, so we can explore more books. Today I saw some of my old favorites - the kid with the purple crayon. I don't even remember the actual name of it, but I saw the cover and had a moment! Memories!
Ryne is also really enjoying blocks, of all kinds. He has the old wooden ABC blocks and tons of Mega Blocks. He really likes knocking down any tower of blocks I build. I have to admit that that is a little disappointing. I work really hard on my towers of blocks, and for some strange reason I think that Ryne will be in awe when he sees my magnificent tower. He does do his little "O"face for half a second and then brings down the wrath of the right hand and in one fell swoop, my tower is obliterated - one tiny block left in a pile of rubble! Ugh! All that hard work! At least Ryne is sweet enough to help me build it back...and then knock it down again!
He likes to color with crayons and markers and he LOVES play dough. He tries to eat them all! I have to watch him like a hawk. If I blink, he will lick play dough or have red crayon all over his pearly whites! Nothing like brushing your kids teeth and thinking his tongue might be bleeding profusely! He is also getting better at putting toys away - thank you Lord! Our house looks like Toys R Us exploded. Throw in some Cheerios, Goldfish and Craisins and you got a toddler party mix!
Ryne is also dancing more! He loves to dance. He really doesn't watch TV all that much, but when the music for a TV show comes on, he will dance, bounce, keep up his feet, head bang and drop it like it's hot - all at one time! The cutest thing ever is when he dances with his Elmo (aka: "Mo Mo") house shoes on! I took Ryne to Kindermusik at Borders today thinking that he would like the music, songs and dancing. I was wrong! He'd rather read Fox in Sox and the Olivia books or crawl under tables and in between bookshelves! And to think they usually do these classes at Smart Toys and Books! Are you kidding me! My child was running through the group today like his head was on fire and the only way to put it out was to pull every book off the shelf! What do they think would happen in a toy store?!! Adam witnessed a few minutes of this and we unanimously agreed that we aren't throwing away our money on group classes at this point.
Sadly, I'd like to take Ryne to group stuff so he will learn, in a fun way, that there are rules to follow in different places and that he can't always run around like a maniac. However, why do I want to pay a couple hundred dollars for a 45 minute power struggle? UMMM, no - it's like that enough at home! I'm that mother that gets the looks from the other mothers that say "you don't discipline your child!" Someone told me about a book for the "strong-willed child" and said that basically the author says that everyone should have a strong-willed child because they would have more empathy for other mother/parents! Empathize, don't criticize!
We discipline Ryne, plenty! However, he's as strong-willed as they come - 45+ minute tantrums over wanting bottles, vacuums, and popsicles! He follows me around the house, torturing me with his screams, pushing and pulling me in the direction of the object of his heart's desire! I think we could probably beat Ryne within an inch of his life and he'd still want whatever it is that he wants. Good thing we don't use corporal punishment! And no, spanking won't solve the problem (I know what you're thinking). I read in a child-discipline book that most spanking is really a parent throwing their own temper tantrum...and essentially taking it out on their child's rear end. Ryne has enough of those. He's coming into his Terrible Twos (doctor confirmed it today), so one less hissy fit is helpful! Someone's gotta keep their head about them - it might as well be me!
The next few months are going to be exciting for sure - whether I like it or not and for good reason and bad! Never a dull moment. Also, Ryne is available for babysitting/birth control purposes for all teenagers! Seriously, you'll have to beg them to give you grandchildren one day!
How We’re Organizing Our Digitized Photos
1 week ago
1 comment:
We have one of those VERY strong willed boys also. I do hope that people that have very easy going babies/toddlers will be able to experience having a strong willed child. I do hear it pays off when they are older:)
Post a Comment