I love looking in Pottery Barn catalogs! Who doesn't, but I can't afford everything that I want in it. Most of our bedding and such in our bedroom is from Pottery Barn is was a one time, before I needed to revamp. For Christmas three years ago, Mom got Adam and I the Pottery Barn curtains that we wanted. She bought us two panels, which was enough to cover the two windows in our room and help keep the light out. I've known for awhile that we needed two panels on each window, but those curtains are NOT cheap! Our curtains are Dupioni Silk with a nice price tag of roughly $120 a panel, so buying 4 panels at once was a little steep for curtains.
Luckily, this Christmas season, they were on sale - still about $80 a panel, but that's better than $120. So Mom got me two more panels! Thanks Mom! It definitely makes a difference in the appearance of the room, but I needed something to tie the curtains back with during the day so some sunlight could come in. I like things that have significance to use as decor in our home, if at all possible. We have some heirlooms and things hung up, but I wanted something heirloomy in our room! So I adapted another expensive Pottery Barn idea and made it my own!
Pottery Barn recently had some spools used as decor to drape some swag - gotta love swag! I couldn't afford the spools or the swag, but I figured I could find some cheaper somewhere else to use as tie backs for my curtains!
Back to the aforementioned "heirloomy" stuff. Spools sort of have a significance with my family because my family is from mill towns in North Carolina. Several people in my family worked in textile mills - even Dad did while in high school or college. So the significance of the spools reminded me of my roots.
Now back to the title of the blog: I couldn't find spools like these anywhere online. I could find little ones but not big ones. So I changed my search to "bobbins" and found lots of fun stuff on etsy...and they were pretty cheap! So I bought four to use as tie backs for my curtains!
I know they aren't the bobbins that my actual family used or eve bobbins from the mills they worked in, but no one in the family really had any. Who would think a bobbin would be significant later on down the road? So etsy was the best I could do. I scored 4 bobbins (it was only supposed to be 3 - bonus!) for around $13, which included shipping!
So far they are working out fabulously. I have them hung with command strips for hanging pictures since I didn't want to damage the bobbins or the wall in order to hang them. You can actually see the marks on the bobbin from where the thread was cut several times. Also there is a stamp on one end that tells where the bobbins came from. I think it's something a little different, fun, original and heirloomy!





No comments:
Post a Comment