Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mornings with Mommy

Today has been so crazy and it's only 1 o'clock!  Ryne JUST went down for a nap (spoke too soon - he's still awake)!  Emphasis on "JUST" because he's been up since 5:30 this morning!  Ryne keeps me constantly running throughout the day, even on rainy days like yesterday, when we were stuck indoors.  I will admit that I do not usually wake up until he does in the morning, because I'm SOOOO TIRED everyday!  Days like today are even worse, because I've been up since way earlier than usual.

The past few weeks, Ryne has been taking his diaper off before I can get to him, every morning and peeing in his bed.  It's not the end of the word, but a little annoying to change his sheet every day and sometime again after his nap...for the same reason.  Today was much the same, but much different.  From what I can assume, Ryne probably removed his diaper last night before he fell asleep, because when he woke up screaming this morning bright and early  before the crack of dawn, his crib mattress was soaked completely - hardly a dry spot on it.  I think that was the work of multiple pees.  His pj shirt was soaked.  His blankets were soaked.  His stuffed animals were soaked and there was a good size wet spot in the floor!  That's a lot of pee, my friends!  I figured Ryne would probably take a little nap around 7 or 8, but NOOOOO!  He was rip, roaring and ready to go!  I was so tired, I just let him sit and watch TV for awhile because I could barely keep my eyes open.  On the few occasions that I did doze off, Ryne would come by and poke me in the eyes!  Nothing says "Good Morning" like a little eye gouging!  Needless to say, Ryne and I had a looong morning together.

Also this morning was our first time going to an event called Mornings with Mommy that a local Lutheran Church does twice a month.  I had considered taking Ryne there back in November, but we got caught up in all the Holiday hustle and bustle.  Again in January, I considered it because Ryne's semester at The Little Gym ended then and I wanted him to have another activity to do outside the house.  He got RSV shortly after, so we couldn't go then and after that, I just flat forgot about it.

A few weeks ago, my friend, Brooke told me that she had taken her daughter Brylee recently and was going back this week, so I signed Ryne up to go also.  Then about a week ago, another friend of mine mentioned she was wanting to go to Mornings with Mommy and I told her that we were signed up for this week, so she brought her son too.  It was a nice little gathering!  There are different stations set up with different activities such as arts and crafts, a sensory station, a gross motor development station, felt story boards, books, etc.  They also provide a snack at the end.  It's only $5 and lasts an hour - that is awesome!


During today's activities at Mornings with Mommy, Ryne colored some acorns, and he actually held the markers correctly quite a bit of the time!  I was so proud of him because we've never explained that to him!  He colored a cut out of a watering can, which had "Happy Mother's Day" written on it.  He also added a few stickers and some glitter paint to jazz up the watering can cut-out.  Then for sensory development, they had some big storage containers full of dried lentils and silk flowers.  The kids could dig around with plastic garden tools in that.  Ryne was wild with the lentils!  Then at the end, he made me a flower pot for a gift!  They painted his hands and put his hand prints on the pot for us to take home!  It was so fun and so cute!  Ryne didn't participate in the group stuff at the beginning (which he never does), but he did have fun at all the stations that he went too.  It was hard to get him to leave one station and go to another.  He gets so engrossed in an activity, but I wanted him to experience as much as possible.  If I got him to another station, then he didn't want to leave that one!


Oh well, it was a great experience, and lots of fun and I think we will be going back as often as we can!

Update:  Ryne didn't actually fall asleep until 2!

No comments: