Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mind Your Own Beeswax (Revised)

Growing up I was always told not to stick anything in my ear smaller than my elbow, which basically means don't stick anything in your ear! Most people clean their ears out with q-tips, which I learned in Audiology class is NOT what you are supposed to do! A q-tip is smaller than your elbow, and it can actually push ear wax farther down into the ear canal.
Today my brother, Ronnie, told me about a ear candle made of beeswax. I still don't exactly understand the concept of how it works, but basically you light one end of the ear candle and stick the other in your ear and it sucks out the wax! Trust me, there is a lot more wax in there than you think! The package said that most people have to use 3 ear candles per ear to get all the wax out!

Warning: My good friend, Jenn, informed me that these may not be the safest method of ear wax removal. I know it was brought up in class last year, and the professor didn't know of any harm, but apparently there can be! Jenn has posted a link in the comment section and WebMD didn't seem to favor the method as well! I was a little curious myself as to whether or not ashes from the beeswax could fall into your ear. Apparently they can! Also you can burn your ear canal or ear drum! So back to what I originally said - Don't stick anything in your ear that is smaller than your elbow!

3 comments:

Jenn and Chris Looney said...

I've heard bad things about these Mrs. Mandy - here's a web site that says more of the same that I've heard - be careful! :)

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_098.html

Brandi said...

I think these can be Harmful as well but I have had it done on myself and I have also done it to Bryan!! It felt really good getting all the wax out...Bryan said "all the pressure was gone". The shop I work at when I am in Kingston offers this service...Unique Connections!!

Anonymous said...

I have teeny tiny ear canals...especially the left one. Q-tips hurt that sucker. I know of no other way to get that repugnant goo out of there than to "smoke it out" like Everett, Delmar and Pete were back in "a tight spot" in the barn.
So, I like the ear candles until somebody comes up with a better non cancer causing way to do it I'm all for them. Only advise i can give on them is very cliche'...shut up, be still, and it will all be over soon.
Wait, that advise was actually for something else...and that is none of your business. :)