Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I Fought the Lawn and the Lawn Won!

Sunday was the first day that Adam mowed our lawn! When we moved into the house we had sod (slightly dead) in the front yard and grass seed with straw over it on the sides and back yard, so we had no grass to mow! I was very dedicated to growing grass this past fall, and apparently I did a pretty good job. With the few days of rain and warm weather, our lawn started growing like weeds! On one side of the house, we had a small jungle growing!
Adam bought a lawn mower off a coworker for $50! It is a good lawn mower; however, it hadn't been used in 2 years so it needed a little work. A little work turned into a whole day of work, and after all that it still didn't work and we had to borrow one from Adam's dad! Thanks Frank!
We went to the 8 AM service on Sunday so Adam could get back home in time to mow before the UT/Butler game! I took a nap and when I woke up, he was worn out, but the grass was pretty much cut! Poor guy! He wasn't expecting the steep side of our yard to be so difficult to cut, and he wasn't able to cut it all because part of the yard is way too steep to stand on, much less push a lawn mower on. We are not exactly sure what we are going to do about it. I keep suggesting that we invest in a mountain goat! They are used to standing on steep areas and eating grass! Problem solved - except we are not allowed to have such animals in our neighborhood!
I think that we are going to have to put up a retaining wall, which is not cheap, and build up the area so it is not so steep. What I hate most about the situation is that when we picked out the lot we wanted to build on, it wasn't steep. We really had no choice in the matter, but I know that Adam and I would never have bought a house with a yard so steep if we had known beforehand.

This is the steep side of the house! It is too steep to walk on towards the back of the house. Adam is going to hate cutting the grass this summer!

1 comment:

Wes and Ashley said...

The one thing that bothers me about blogging is when someone comments on your blog and you want to respond its like a random comment on their most recent one! But anyways this is in response to wrote you wrote on ours... haha. We are all disappointed in Duke's performance... but as long as Tennessee is still in it we are going to pretend like nothing happened! We may have to call you for some house advice! Some of your stories like this one are making me a little nervous!