Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent

No, it's not the stuff that collects in your bellybutton or dryer.  It's a sacrifice or self-denial that some Christians make in the days leading up to Easter in commemoration of the death of Jesus.  I usually try to give up something like soft drinks or candy.  I usually have a tough time following through all the way to Easter, but I have made it a few times.  One year I decided that instead of giving up something, I would try to do better at something, like be a better Christian, etc.  That went over pretty well, but in reality, that's what we are supposed to be doing every day, so it kind of defeats the purpose of Lent.

This year, I have taken another slightly different approach, yet again.  I have decided to give up something that wasn't food-related.  So I'm giving up Bravo TV and worrying.  I watched the new season of the Real Housewives of Orange County on Monday night and was really kind of disgusted by the behavior of the women on the show - so catty, so hateful, so vengeful, so negative!  Ugh!  I was getting mad just by watching it.  This show is a good example of how it seems so many people nowadays think they can just say whatever they want or do whatever they want and don't care about the repercussions - besides it makes for good TV, right?  Anyway, I truly think that what you watch on TV can have an impact on you, so...No More Drama for This Momma!  Bye Bye Bravo, hopefully you will not return to my regularly scheduled TV viewing after Easter!

As for giving up worrying - that's going to be a toughie!  Almost everyone worries at some point because there are so many terrible things that happen in the world and for reason unbeknownst to us.  However, I think worry can be crippling if it gets out of hand and generally we are happier if we are worry-free!  I don't feel crippled by worry, but I do feel that I give worry more mental energy that is necessary on certain issues.  I feel like Lent is a great time to sacrifice a weakness because you can daily devote your efforts in to making choices other than worrying.  I have a few people who are joining the worry-free Lenten efforts, so hopefully we can be support for one another!  In the Bible it says "Leave all your worries with Him, because He cares for you."  (1 Peter 5:7).  And if that quote doesn't strike your fancy then you can always go with the Van Wilder quote, "Worrying is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere."

So here's to a worry-free, drama-free Lent!  I think it will be the best one yet!

No comments: