Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cubs Cake

I have been practicing for my cake decorating class. Baking a level cake was a little more difficult than I expected. I did not accomplish a perfectly level cake, but there wasn't too much of a hump - just need to tweak the temperature some! So since I baked an almost-level cake, I figured that I should make icing to go along with it. The icing turned out very well. I experimented with vanilla and butter flavors - yum!
We have not learned any decorating techniques yet, but I read ahead in the book and decided to practice (practice makes perfect) the star technique that we will be learning on Monday. I am such an eager beaver that I decided to practice on my almost-level, iced cake. I made a Cubs cake, since Adam is such a fan! It is by no means perfect, but not bad for practice. I should have made a template to use, because my C wasn't rounded out enough or centered very well, but for freestyle, it's probably not that bad. I also had a bit of trouble coloring my icing, so I made more of a baby Cub cake!

Also, there is a new bakery opening today in Knoxville called Cities Cupcakes. They make cupcakes to correspond with different cities in the US. They have contest to make a Atlanta cupcake with a cola flavor and chocolate base, so I am going to attempt an Atlanta cupcake to enter into the contest. I have somewhat devised a recipe. It sounds good in theory, so we shall see how it plays out! Wish me luck!


Before


After


"Go Cubs"


No comments: