Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Have Your Cake and Eat it Too!

Yesterday I started Course 1 of the Wilton Method of Cake Decorating. My interest in cake decorating was sparked by my cousin, Kelli, who has made hundreds of cakes and posted them on myspace. I immediately fell in love with the idea! Course 1 is every Monday for 4 weeks, and I have to complete 3 cakes to pass the course. I will be posting my masterpieces each week before I find good homes for them to go to, since Adam and I don't eat a lot of cake! So if you'd like to foster some of my cakes, let me know!
Yesterday we learned some of the basics. We make our own Buttercream icing - none of that canned icing! We learned how to bake a level cake (no hump in the middle), tort, fill and ice a cake. We are supposed to experiment this week with icing flavorings, consistency and coloring, and have a cake baked and iced for class on Monday when I decorate my very first cake!
I never thought that I would be so excited about cake decorating, but I am. I am going to attempt a Father's Day cake for Frank and Dad, with only 2 classes under my belt. Luckily they will probably eat it no matter what it looks like!

1 comment:

Wes and Ashley said...

This sounds like so much fun!