Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Switching Direction Mid Stream

No pun intended!  Yesterday, I bought Ryne his first cloth diaper.  These aren't your momma's cloth diapers.  Cloth diapering has become a very advanced science.  There is a cloth diaper for every occasion and every need.  When I was pregnant I thought that I wanted to do cloth diapers on our baby, but I didn't know anyone who actually used them and didn't know how to do it or where to get them.  So, I opted for the regular disposable diapers. I had also heard that disposable diapers were better fore babies because they wick moisture away from them, so you have less diaper rash...unless your child is allergic to the chemicals they use in diapers.
Last week, I came across a posting about cloth diapers on one of the blogs that I stalk, Young House Love     I was inspired by their cloth diapering and decided that it was something worth looking in to.  Adam and I are big recyclers and try to do our part to be as "green" as possible.  Nowadays we have as much dirty diaper trash as we do regular trash in a week.  Dirty diaper trash is pretty disgusting, and trust me when I say that if your dirty diaper containment bag says "odorless" in the title, it's the exact opposite!
So yesterday I went to Cutie Tooties here in Knoxville.  They have all your cloth diaper needs, and Sunny, the owner, was very very helpful!  She knows her stuff!  I decided to buy just one diaper to see if I could manage it and if I could get Adam on board with it.  So I got a Bum Genius all in one diaper, which is sized to fit.   It looks and goes on the most like a disposable diaper, so I figured it would be the easiest to start with.
I washed and dried the diaper yesterday and we decided we would try it on Ryne overnight.  Well...that didn't go as well as I would have expected.  He didn't go down to bed without a screaming fit so when I went in to check on him, I noticed he had removed the entire diaper!  He's done this before with disposables too but not at night.  I think the bulk of the cloth diaper seemed unusual to him and he knows how to work velcro and likes the sound it makes!  So I took it off and put on a disposable and figured we would try the cloth diaper the next day.
Today, I put the cloth diaper on him (with shorts over it so he wouldn't pull at the tabs), after changing his soggy, leaking disposable.  Ryne has started leaking through disposables at night recently.  Ryne did both deeds in that diaper.  It was easier than I thought to clean up.  Since he got his sheets wet and his changing pad needed changing, I threw them in the wash with the diaper.  Everything came out nice and clean!  I dried  them (the insert too)  on low and then laid them on the back porch to finish drying the au naturale way!
I had a skin care party tonight with a friend/client, so by the time I got home, Ryne was down for bed.  Adam sent me a picture during the party of Ryne running around the house naked and holding his disposable diaper!  I guess it's not just the cloth!  I think he just likes the sound the tabs make when he pulls on them.  Adam did not put Ryne in the cloth diaper like we had planned for tonight, so I guess tomorrow night will be the overnight trial run.  If it looks like Ryne will tolerate the cloth diaper, then I may get ones with snaps on them.  I think they would be harder to undo and take off.  
I'd love to go cloth, but we will see if Ryne can make the switch.

No comments: