Saturday, July 17, 2010

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Technically, it is Saturday morning here in Knoxville, but when I mention "last night,"  I'm actually talking about Thursday Night/ Friday morning or Day 8 of the Sleep Diary.  Last night, we lost the sleep battle!  Thursday Ryne had his 12 month shots and did not nap very well Thursday.  Adam and I figured that he would probably go down for bedtime pretty well.  Again, Adam "read" to Ryne and Ryne barely took a bottle at bedtime.  We never expected at 2 AM that he would wake up screaming!  We let him cry about 10 minutes to see if he'd go back to sleep but he didn't.  Adam got up to rock him.  Ryne just couldn't get settled back down so I broke down and made a bottle, since he hadn't had a full feeding at bedtime.  Ryne took the bottle and fussed a little more and then finally went back to sleep.  So considering all that, we never expected him to wake up at 7:30!  I mean seriously!  Adam and I like to sleep in on Fridays, especially since I had been baking all day and Adam had worked all week!  I thought we might be able to give Ryne another bottle at 7:30 to see if he might go back to sleep because he woke up crying.  We were not so fortunate!  He was still tired but he was NOT going back to bed.
It felt like a total setback!  We were doing so well!  Ryne and I were finally sleeping through the night for the first time in a year (over a year for me due to pregnancy).  Ryne wasn't requiring a bottle at night!  So to have to wake up and give him a bottle was upsetting!
Ryne hardly napped today (Friday).  Sometimes I think he gets so far off schedule that it's hard to bring him back around to sleeping at all!  If he doesn't sleep well at night, he has a harder time going down for naps, but if he doesn't nap well, it's hard to get him to go down for bedtime.  It's a vicious cycle!  I think he took two 30 minute naps today, which is hardly enough.
Hopefully he will sleep well into the morning so I can get this cake done in peace!

No comments: